Friday, February 6, 2015

Getting to know your #ProjectScouted scouts – Warren Gabin

Twenty-seven-year-old Warren Gabin is a creative at heart and he wears that heart on his sleeve. If he doesn’t at first pique your interest with his many tattoos and easy smile, he definitely will if you strike up a conversation with him. Having his little sister Tamlyn – who is also one of our scouts – reach the Top 6 in last year’s cycle of #ProjectScouted and having attended many of the photoshoots and events, Warren has a unique experience of the Project that will definitely aid in him being a commendable scout. Read more about this inspired and artistic young man below and see why he has become so popular throughout #ProjectScouted.



1.    What do you currently do?
What do I do? I play the guitar; I always have a sound for how I feel. I write; I write to make sense of the thoughts in my head. Music is my sanity, poetry is my sanctuary.
My day job? I’ve recently stepped into a position as an internal orders consultant for an established Pinetown-based mixed concrete company. They call it the legacy-making business. Haha! It’s true though!

2.    How long have you lived in Durban? What do you love most about the city?
I have lived in Durban for 99.9% of my life. I spent a year in Johannesburg seeking “fame and fortune”. There is no place like home. Durban is warm, figuratively and literally. I love that I live near the coast. The one thought that always blows my mind when I stand on Durban’s beachfront is the thought that I am standing on the border of a continent, the border of Africa. In those moments I am always filled with an overwhelming calmness.

3.    How did you hear about #ProjectScouted and how did you become a scout?
My sister was a participant in #ProjectScouted Cycle 1. I would take her to the phases that she was involved in, and while there began getting to know everyone behind the scenes. I slowly became a part of the family. When Cycle 2 came along, Lee thought it would be cool to make both my sister and I scouts; a sort of battle of the siblings.

4.    How does being a scout benefit you?
Lee, pay your scouts. Haha! That would be the best benefit! On a serious note, the most rewarding benefit of being a scout, for me, is the opportunity it provides to connect with creative souls: established and aspiring. From photographers and graphic designers, to fashion designers and videographers, Durban has a wealth of creative knowledge and skills which #ProjectScouted taps into and exposes everyone involved to.

5.    What are you looking forward to the most in being a part of the Project?
I’m looking forward to the adventure, making memories, but most importantly, I’m looking forward to leading my team and being part of their evolution. The relationship between the scout and their team is an essential part of the Project. I get to protect my girls from negativity and I’ll have the privilege of being able to influence their attitudes.

6.    What do you think is the best feature of #ProjectScouted?
The fact that it is a Project and not a modelling competition is the best thing about it. It is anti-industry. It is not about showcasing conventional standards, it is about showcasing unconventional truths. #ProjectScouted appreciates girls of all shapes and sizes, all colours and creeds. The Project promotes the theme of “loving the skin you’re in”.

7.    What qualities are you looking for in girls before you scout them?
Authenticity

8.    What will give your team an edge over the others?
The diversity of personalities present within my team. I haven’t met the other teams, so it would be arrogant of me to say that my team’s diversity gives us an edge, however our diversity is certainly a powerful strength.

9.    If another scout stole one of your girls for their team, what would you do?
I’d brand that scout a poacher and thief for the duration of the project! Haha!
But I would support the poached girl regardless.

10. Which scout or scout’s team, as far as you know, do you see as your toughest competition?
Too soon for me to accurately tell, but my gut says that Jami’s team will be very strong.

11. If your team had a motto or a tag line, what would it be?
“Be you, and they will see you.”

12. What is your team’s unique name and why did you choose it?
My team’s name is Team Brother Bear. My sister coined the name for me during Project Scouted Cycle 1. So I thought it would be a fitting team name in Cycle 2. I was there for my sister during Cycle 1, and now I will be there for my girls in Cycle 2. #TeamBrotherBear

Keep an eye out for images on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter to see how Warren’s girls do with #ProjectScouted kicking off on 28 February 2015 with Phase One and the launch of the Project. Don’t forget to show your support by sharing your favourite images with the hashtag of the teams’ names along with the #ProjectScouted hashtag.


No comments:

Post a Comment