Sunday, February 22, 2015

Capturing the #ProjectScouted moments in motion – Cinematographer, Brittany Hurrell

Brittany Hurrell describes herself as a cinematographer rather than a videographer. She films for cinematic experience and uses colour grading instead of editing. Currently a second-year student studying Cinematography and Data and Image Enhancement at AFDA Durban, which is a school of motion picture and live performance, Brittany has the depth and intuition needed for someone capturing emotion and energy. This makes her the perfect person to document the thrill and adventure that #ProjectScouted is.



1.    What sparked your interest in cinematography?
I have always had a passion for cinematography. I love capturing motion pictures in a way where the audience can appreciate the certain style of the image and the lighting techniques, the symbolism, the shot style, the angle, and how the overall look tells a story with visuals. It’s a form of art and the creative side of it keeps me alive.

2.    What is the best part of the entire process of creating videos?
I would say the actual filming of it is the best, because you are essentially part of the scene and the world which the director has created for you and you are constantly capturing these images and moving with the characters to help progress the story and add to the narrative. It gives you an adrenalin rush because you always want the best take!

4. How did you hear about #ProjectScouted?
I heard about #ProjectScouted last year via Facebook when I saw some of my friends getting tagged in pictures that were taken of them. 

5. What motivated you to become a cinematographer for #ProjectScouted?
I really just want to do it for the experience! The more you learn about this art, the more you grow as an artist! There is also a lot of exposure and it would be great for my future! So being a part of this Project will ultimately help me with my career and my skills at the same time which is a win-win situation. Plus, I get to make awesome friends, meet new people and make memories!

6. From what you know so far, what do you love the most about #ProjectScouted?
I love how it brings everyone together. Everyone from different mediums: photographers, scouts, models, stylists, makeup artists, writers etc. It’s great to know such creative and passionate people that will help you and inspire you in the field that you are in. 

7. What has been your most memorable experience as a cinematographer?
Filming for my peers. They create such magical scripts and being able to translate words into visuals is incredible! Every term, I have the privilege to shoot some epic films and each term it has helped me learn and grow so I am better than before. 

8. Would you advise someone who wants to be a cinematographer to get a qualification first or to learn on their own?
I would definitely tell them to get a qualification first. In this day and age, if you don't have a Degree it is very difficult to get employed. There is also so much to learn about film, how it’s done and the skills that you would need that are only acquired when one studies at an institution like this. It also helps you know many people that will help you when you enter the industry after you graduate. These people would have worked with you previously so they will take you to awesome places with them!

Stay active on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube for everything that is #ProjectScouted. The Project kicks off on 28 February 2015 with Phase One and the launch. And remember that all shoots and events are open to the public free of charge! But if you aren’t there, Brittany will be one of the team making sure that you don’t miss out on the experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment