Thursday, July 17, 2014

Project Scouted photographer profile: Caroline Burne




Lee Folkard Photography asked Caroline a few questions ahead of her photo session to get a little insight into who she is and what her photography process is like.

Lee Folkard Photography: What was your inspiration to begin photography and how did you start off in the business?
Caroline: I only got into photography in my late twenties. My boyfriend was photographing the scene at the time and I was instantly drawn to it. I bought a Nikon D60 and started taking photos socially at nightclubs. Two months later, I sold my little D60 and upgraded to a D300 and haven’t looked back since. I reached a point where I felt it was important that I learnt the fundamentals in order to move forward. So I went to Vega and completed a year of studies, after which I began working for a studio.



LFP: How did you become involved in Project Scouted and what motivated you to be a part of it?
Caroline: I met with Lee to talk about being a part of the Project. I really like what he is doing for Durban’s creative community.



LFP: When photographing people, what is your process? What's your favourite aspect to capture?
Caroline: I like trying to create something complex out of otherwise ordinary, simple elements. When you are able to evoke an emotion rather than just an expression, you’ve achieved your goals and I think it reflects in your work.



LFP: What inspires you artistically?
Caroline: The pioneer photographer, Ansel Adams said, “You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.”



LFP: Has Durban always been your home? What do you love most about Durban?
Caroline: I’m a born and raised Durban girl. It’s hard to say what I love the most. When you've lived in one city all your life, you form a love/hate relationship with it. One minute you pack your bags and get one foot out the door and the next you’re hugging your pillows promising you will never leave.

Caroline's passion for photography is clearly evident and she has the talent and drive to match. It’s always refreshing to see more photographers who bring depth and intellect to their work. Be sure to keep an eye on the Facebook page for her and the other featured photographer’s pics.

1 comment: