Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Shoelaced Clothing by Ryan Francis – An official sponsor of #ProjectScouted

Shoelaced Clothing has been a loyal and favourite sponsor for Lee Folkard Photography's Projects. This year he also happens to feature as a scout in #ProjectScouted. Headed and owned by Ryan Francis; a husband and father of three kids, Shoelaced Clothing is a fresh, edgy and daring brand. Ryan is always at the top of his game and this home-grown Durban boy is bringing that A-game to #ProjectScouted this year.



 Here's our Q&A session with the designer:

Lee Folkard Photography: What was your inspiration to become a designer and how did you start off?
Ryan: I have always had a great love and passion for designing and wanted to be a part of the fashion industry from a very young age. I've always loved expressing who I am and my personality through designing and creating clothing. I later found that by doing this I was also inspiring other people to be creative and unique too. So I decided to launch my own brand in 2011, Shoelaced Clothing, which has grown amazingly over the last few years.



LFP: How did you become involved in Project Scouted and what motivated you to be a part of it?
Ryan: The concept behind Project Scouted is one I live for, something I believe in and try to live by everyday through Shoelaced Clothing – and that is taking art to the next level. I believe that everybody has that special something about them but not all of us are brave enough to show it. Not all of us are willing to take the chance or the risk to go out and get what we love or do what we love. So I try to be that person that helps others by inspiring them to unlock that potential through my designing. I try to show people that no matter who you are or what your circumstances are, you can achieve your goals. I'm a passionate person that believes that if you don't try you will never know. So that's why I'm a part of a Lee Folkard Photography Project for the second time; because I believe in it.



LFP: Which designer's work do you admire or inspires you and why?
Ryan: I don't really have a favourite; I just love all designers and all creative, passionate people that love doing what they do.



LFP: What is the average day like for you?
Ryan: Coffee, coffee, coffee, meetings, meetings, coffee. And then designing after the sun goes down.

LFP: As a designer, what do you think about only certain looks and body types being portrayed as attractive in the media?
Ryan: I think it’s pretty ridiculous that the media portrays that you have to have a certain look to be attractive. For me it’s simple; fashion is an expression of personality which is something that everybody has and is different from the next person. So express yourself the way you want to, where you want to, and in whatever way you want to, no matter how big or small you think you are. It’s important to be proud of who you are. You may just inspire someone else to do the same!

LFP: If you were a drink, what drink would you be and why?
Ryan: Jack Daniels - with lime & ice. It’s smooth, like me!

Ryan and Shoelaced Clothing made their mark on the project as they hosted Phase Four with a fashion show at SMG Rocks. Those that were there would know that it was a memorable one. 

Images from the show can be seen at: 
Firsthouse Photography
Nilufer Yucel Photography
Street Pulse Photography




P.S. For anyone who hasn’t figured it out yet, Ryan is the one always ‘clowning around’.


No comments:

Post a Comment